Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Endometrial biopsy
Donabell posted:
Am 51 with regular periods but very heavy and clot filled. Have 3 fibroids, cysts on both ovaries and 17mm endrometrial stripe. Had biopsy 2 days ago and will get results within a week. Pelvic pain and pressure, distended abdomen and always feel constipated even after a movement. Waiting for results has been torture. Doc knew my uterus was enlarged a year ago but only ordered tests after most recent exam. He thinks I have hyperplasia. Will have another ultrasound to check ovaries in 2 months. Thanks for letting me sound off! Been imagining the worst.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Donabell: The maximum thickness of the uterine lining ("endometrial stripe") is usually about cycle day 21 in a premenopausal woman. At this time a woman MIGHT have an endometrial stripe as much as 16 mm. Thus it is important to know where the woman is during her menstrual month. Ultimately hyperplasia is a diagnosis made by the pathologist examining the specimen of lining derived from the endometrial biopsy. Hopefully, if there is hyperplasia, it is simple hyperplasia without atypia (abnormal cells).

Surprisingly, even with a too thick uterine lining there may not be significant enlargement of the uterus itself. Fibroids can certainly enlarge the muscular walls of the uterus. Adenomyosis (endometriosis which has grown into the muscular walls) can also lead to a bulky and tender uterus.

The pelvic pain and pressure are more likely to be linked to an enlarged uterus, than a too thick lining/hyperplasia.

It sounds like there are no suspicious masses in the pelvis or on the ovaries--thank goodness. An endometrial biopsy is no fun experience, but it does yield more detailed information. If you would be so kind, let us know how your biopsy results turned out. We will be wondering about your outcome in this process. ..Thanks for writing. Your post may trigger many additional comments from women with similar symptoms.

Yours,
Jane

Donabell replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thanks Jane! The biopsy results were normal. My doctor did discuss options for dealing with the fibroids which I will explore further. I appreciated your input.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to Donabell's response:
Dear Donabell: Great news, no hyperplasia and no atypical cells. Thus it may be that the heavy periods are related to both the fibroids and typical perimenopausal hormones. In the later there can actually be times of increased estrogen production coupled with absent or decreased progesterone from our "aging" ovaries, and response by the hypothalamus.Hopefully ,In your specific case, menopause may be offer a way to evade both types of effects.

Thanks for taking the time to write us back with your followup.

In Appreciation,
Jane

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.