Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can Virgins use an IUD??
HippyShay posted:
I am 20 and my bf is 22 and we are both waiting until marriage to make love, so when we become engaged I plan to start a form of birth control. We plan on being engaged for about a year or so, so that'll give my body time to adjust to the BC. I'm really interested in using an IUD because its something I won't have to worry about or think of for as long as I choose to use it (perfect for my horribly forgetful nature!!) and we don't plan on having kids for at least another 5 years after we're married- we wanna enjoy being married first! My question is, have any virgins out there used an IUD? What do they feel like and have you had any symptoms/drawbacks, etc.? Thanks! <3

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear HippyShay: Yes, a virgin can use an IUD, and it certainly can be helpful if you forget to, say, take a birth control pill every day. You might also be a candidate for other "forgetful woman" types of contraception. Some of these can include: NuvaRing, OrthoEvra Patch, Implanon, DepoProvera". You might want to check this link where you answer questions about your birth control needs and preferences:

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/all-access/my-method-26542.htm

If you intended to have the IUD inserted before ever having intercourse you might want to talk with your GYN or clinic first. You could see how you do with a general pelvic exam before considering IUD insertion.

Also, there are two types of IUDs (Mirena and Copper-T) each has somewhat different side effects. The characteristics of your current menstrual period may mandate one type of IUD over another. It is reasonable to see a GYN or clinic just to talk about your birth control options.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.