Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
whats wrong with me
MickeyClark2 posted:
My period came 10 days early and has lasted for 10 days and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon, what is going on with me? im very worried because this has never happened to me before

tlkittycat1968 responded:
No one on an internet board can tell you what's wrong. You need to see a doctor, especially since a period longer than 7 days is not normal.

Anon_5366 responded:
You need to see your doctor. It could be harmones.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear MickeyClark: Both respondents gave accurate advice. I would like to add some additional information as well.

One common reason for a menstrual pattern like you have described is not having an ovulation in the prior month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period.

So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—your missed period. Alternatively, the built up lining can begin to shed on its own creating erratic bleeding patterns which are usually "too-light" or super heavy and prolonged.

Causes for not ovulating are numerous: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with boyfriends/girlfriends, finances), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

As always, if one is at risk for pregnancy that should be ruled out as well. I would urge you to see a GYN, or your local county family planning clinic promptly. They can look for some of the causes of heavy bleeding, and prescribe a short course of hormones to get the bleeding to stop. Depending upon your age, and GYN history, they may want to do an ultrasound or endometrial biopsy.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.