Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Deep pain during intercourse
JustAnotherGirl83 posted:
Hello, I'm new to this particular community

I shall be up front and say I am hoping folks will tell me not to worry about so I can cancel the doctors appointment I have for Monday afternoon. Anyway...

I should think the discussion title says all that really needs to be said but at the risk of giving too much information... So far I can only come up with one time that it has happened, and that was yesterday... The best way I can describe it is a 'deep pain' in my abdomen during sex... Exclusively (I think) during full, deep penetration. It's not a sharp pain, more like an ache, I suppose... rather diffuse (I'd say at most, an area the size of my fist)...

Like I said, it has only happened once (at the risk, again, of giving you too much information it occurred last night, not this morning...) and for the most part I would much rather save myself the embarrassment and the doctor the time... on the other hand if there is a problem I would like to catch it sooner rather than later... We've pretty much decided that if it happens again I will keep the appointment (boyfriend is a first year med student... they're fun, lol )... So I guess my question is... should I keep the appointment even if it doesn't happen again this weekend?

Thanks, and sorry for the book, lol
tlkittycat1968 responded:
You said this pain happens during deep penetration. It's possible he's hitting your cervix and that can caus pain.
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear JustAnotherGirl: Welcome! tlkittcat has given you correct information. Depending upon the position of your uterus/cervix AND the position of penetration (eg back entry, legs elevated, etc) the penis hitting the cervix can "jostle" the uterus and Fallopian tubes as well.

Some conditions where this may be more common include:

1. Pelvic infection with chlamydia-- Since this pain has only happened one time, and presumably you are also in a monogamous relationship, I would really doubt this is your culprit.

2. Adhesions/scar tissue inside the abdomen--The usual cause for adhesions are either endometriosis or a prior inflammation inside the abdomen (eg former ruptured appendix, old pelvic infection). Again pain from thses sources tends to occur with most episodes of deep thrusting--not just once.

3. Ovarian cyst--If one has an ovarian cyst (could even be normal follicular cyst that precedes mid-cycle ovulation), pushing against the cervix can "jostle" the ovary with the cyst creating pain. Unlike the scenarios described above, an ovarian cyst can be a brief episode in time, not chronic pelvic pain.

Truly, for the most "for sure" answer your best bet is to see your GYN or clinic. If they are able to duplicate the pain during a pelvic exam that would lead to a more thorough evaluation and additional testing.

JustAnotherGirl83 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you both, very much. I am sure you are right, the first two don't seem very likely for me. And I don't have an OB, just a GP in family practice. I like him a lot but I'd rather not have to subject either one of us to an exam that isn't exactly comfortable if there is no reason... Anyway thanks again!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.