Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Extremely light spotting in place of period
lovelylove06 posted:
At the end of my last cycle I switched to Loestrin24Fe from generic Yaz. I was on Yaz for 3 years before I had my daughter then started it again 6 months into breastfeeding which was a year ago. I just finished the first pack of the new birth control and instead of a period I had very light spotting. There would only be a spot of light red blood if any after leaving a tampon in for 2-3 hours and this lasted 5 days and stopped today (Sunday) and I haven't started my new pack yet. Also at the beginning of the pack I was on the oral medication for a bacterial infection and had unprotected sex a few times over the month. Was the spotting from switching to a new pill containing estrogen?

Anon_6061 responded:
Different birth control pills can have very different effects on period length and flow for each individual woman. So, yes, it's likely the light period / spotting is from the new BCP. Also, it can take a few months for your body to adjust to a new BCP so your period may change after a few months on this pill.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 101 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.