Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do You Use This Excuse?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
The most common excuse I hear for not exercising every day, or even four times a week, is that it is tough to fit exercise time into our busy modern lives. But that is just the problem -- we think in terms of "fitting it in" -- which automatically demotes exercise to an optional activity, rather than a core piece of living our best lives. When patients tell me that their lives are too hectic to exercise, I point out that the data are clear -- their lives are actually too busy for them to put up with sitting still. The fit version of you is more motivated, effective, and sharper — in some studies by about 10-15%. So you either get 10-15% more done during a day, or what you get done is 10-15% better quality, and you have energy left over to enjoy your family, friends, and life at the end of a busy work day. If that sounds good to you, then exercise is a mandate, not a luxury. For many busy people, morning exercise is best, because you get it out of the way before anything can knock it off track. But the most important thing is to simply pick a regular routine and stick with it. Many people find that a personal trainer or class-based exercise, works well, because there is a starting time, and once you show up you are guaranteed to stay for the whole workout. Whatever works for you, the key is to decide that it is a fundamental part of your life, and not a frivolous add-on.

stormie705 responded:
I find every excuse in the book not to exercise.But I know I need to.I am fat and need to lose weight and to do that I need to get off my lazy butt.I like to walk but with it being winter and so much snow and darn cold out it is hard to get out.Any ideas?

kcbwil replied to stormie705's response:
Winter is my favorite time to walk outdoors, fewer people, and the air is cool, crisp and refreshing. I am prepared though, layered clothing, cleats on my boots, and reflective clothing if I'm walking on the streets. Just start by walking around the block and before you know it, you'll be in the habit and want to walk farther. Find a friend to go with and explore new routes around town or near your home. Have fun!

laws61 replied to kcbwil's response:
Winter is also my favorite time to walk. I use to walk daily 6 miles. I haven't walked since 2008 after starting a new job. My schedule is ever changing and I can't find a way to get into a routine. Even though I am on my feet and moving the entire time I am at work, it just isn't enough.

JustinMurphy responded:
I workout 4 or 5 days a week. I have a To Do List app on my iPhone where I have listed "exercise" as one of my To Do's and I have it set to recur each day, Monday through Friday. Each day, the app reminds me to exercise, just like it reminds me of my other tasks like going to the bank, or to a meeting, etc.

Buena responded:
I hate to exercise, but I need it for me. I now make it a point, my tip is - I change into my workout clothes at work at the end of the day, it makes me go straight to the gym. Changing my clothes at work is half the battle, mentally it makes me go. If I get in my car without changing my clothes I drive straight home making excuses not to go. This is what helps me stay on track the simple thing of changing my clothes.

Buena Sliva, Workout Girl

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I find it fairly easy to fit at least walking into my schedule. I take the train to work and I'll get off one or two stops early and walk the rest of the way, except when it's raining. In the afternoon, I can take a bus home from my train stop but I choose to walk home (as long as it's below 90 degrees).

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.