Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
vulvular injury
An_249897 posted:
hello dr jane
i have a question about a small injury in vulva with just few blood , it was healed quickly without treatment ... can it let a flat black mark less than one cm inside the inner vulva ? or it just a nevi ? ... I'm so afraid !
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Skin lesions have to be seen to get the most accurate diagnosis. Based upon the information you have shared with us, a small injury without much bleeding that heals quickly is less likely to leave a flat back lesion. As you have correctly stated, one can have a nevus (flat black mole) or more commonly a lentigo (black freckle). Here is a link to more information about this and photos from The Atlas of Vulvar Disease: lentigo&source=bl&ots=6nae2lyaOl&sig=gvFkk3dRfWUt9cfvTR1jU5gAS_o&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qVX3ULivKuP7iwKYhYEo&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=vulvar%20lentigo&f=false

If the link does not work (it's awfully long) try doing a Google search on vulvar lentigo.

After reading about "black marks" go see a GYN or clinic for an actual exam. They can give you the most for sure answer.

anna20 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
thank you for your attention and the advice
I saw just a spot of blood just when I injured with no blood later but a slight swelling or congestion continued for about 2 days and I was virgin so I'm not sure what is the source of this spot of blood and I'm not sure if it was an injury but when I found this black mark after years I said to my self it may be related to this accident ... is it a right thinking?
thank you again
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to anna20's response:
Dear anna: If you had enough trauma to elicit swelling there could have been enough force to have some broken capillaries. This could allow small amounts of blood to leak out and/or into the surrounding tissue. Yet blood in this fashion will usually become a bruise which would fade over time--not be a permanent black mark. The majority of black marks on the vulva are nevi or lentigo. Sometimes there can be deposits of increased pigment. MUCH more rarely there can be a melanoma of the vulva. Please consider having a GYN do a visual exam of the site. If they have any concerns or questions about the diagnosis a tiny punch biopsy can be done. The lab can then make the most accurate diagnosis.


Helpful Tips

I just learned the truth about Gianvi!
I just had my annual visit with ob/gyn today and mentioned that for the past year I have had a resurgence of horrible migraines. I asked if ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.