Includes Expert Content
vulvular injury
An_249897 posted:
hello dr jane
i have a question about a small injury in vulva with just few blood , it was healed quickly without treatment ... can it let a flat black mark less than one cm inside the inner vulva ? or it just a nevi ? ... I'm so afraid !

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Skin lesions have to be seen to get the most accurate diagnosis. Based upon the information you have shared with us, a small injury without much bleeding that heals quickly is less likely to leave a flat back lesion. As you have correctly stated, one can have a nevus (flat black mole) or more commonly a lentigo (black freckle). Here is a link to more information about this and photos from The Atlas of Vulvar Disease:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6FIbAZzn2gYC&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=vulvar lentigo&source=bl&ots=6nae2lyaOl&sig=gvFkk3dRfWUt9cfvTR1jU5gAS_o&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qVX3ULivKuP7iwKYhYEo&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=vulvar%20lentigo&f=false

If the link does not work (it's awfully long) try doing a Google search on vulvar lentigo.

After reading about "black marks" go see a GYN or clinic for an actual exam. They can give you the most for sure answer.

Yours,
Jane

anna20 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
thank you for your attention and the advice
I saw just a spot of blood just when I injured with no blood later but a slight swelling or congestion continued for about 2 days and I was virgin so I'm not sure what is the source of this spot of blood and I'm not sure if it was an injury but when I found this black mark after years I said to my self it may be related to this accident ... is it a right thinking?
thank you again

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to anna20's response:
Dear anna: If you had enough trauma to elicit swelling there could have been enough force to have some broken capillaries. This could allow small amounts of blood to leak out and/or into the surrounding tissue. Yet blood in this fashion will usually become a bruise which would fade over time--not be a permanent black mark. The majority of black marks on the vulva are nevi or lentigo. Sometimes there can be deposits of increased pigment. MUCH more rarely there can be a melanoma of the vulva. Please consider having a GYN do a visual exam of the site. If they have any concerns or questions about the diagnosis a tiny punch biopsy can be done. The lab can then make the most accurate diagnosis.

Yours,
Jane