Includes Expert Content
NERVOUS!
An_249936 posted:
I had unprotected sex with a guy on 1/4 but the duration was 5 minutes and he wasn't even close to ejaculating. I asked him if he ever got tested for STDs and he told me the last time he got tested was december 2 and it was all negative. He even told me what he got tested for and what kinds of tests he got done. I asked him who he previously had sex with (he doesn't midn talking about it) he said the last unprotected sex was his ex girlfriend in september and the last protected sex was in October. He told me he enjoys getting tested because he likes to know if he is clean or not. he also told me he rarely has sex with random women and awlays uses condoms, but, he made a mistake with me which he feels bad for. Also, I had sex again on 1/6 but we use condoms. On 1/8 I called my OBGYN for light itching and odor, she daignosed me with a yeast infection over the phone, but, I don't think I had a true yeast infection but I took the medicine anyway. I went to my OBYN to get tests on 1/16 for STDs. I am really nervous. Should I ask both guys to get tested again. What is my risk?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Let's take each in order, OK? Partner on 1/4 was unprotected, but there was no ejaculation. STD risks for this MIGHT include, genital herpes, HPV/genital wart virus. Usually, an initial herpes infection is marked by severe burning/itching/small open sores. It does not sound like you have had this occur. Genital wart virus would take a much long time to show up. If either of these were part of his purported STD screening tests done December 2nd then your risk for a STD from him is low.

Second partner on 1/6 was condom-protected sex, so there is a minimal risk for an STD. The greatest risk would be for herpes or genital wart virus from skin not covered by condom.

You did absolutely the right thing in seeing your GYN on 1/16 for general STD testing. At that time they would likely have been able to diagnose any non-STD vaginal infections (eg yeast, bacterial vaginosis) as well. I can understand your nervousness. Getting yourself tested (or retested) for skin contact STDs may be more productive than retesting the men--unless you plan to make one of them your monogamous, unprotected partner. Your best bet is continued, consistent condom use. You can even carry a condom yourself so you are never caught without one.

Hope these two incidents turn out to be non-events as far as an STD.

Yours,
Jane