Hair loss post hysterectomy
Service2013 posted:
I have been losing hair like crazy since my hysterectomy. What natural remedies did you use to control the loss of hair? Help! this is scary!

Anon_6061 responded:
Did you have your ovaries removed or did they stop working? If so, estrogen may help. I lost a lot of hair too I tried some supplements but they didn't seem to help. The shedding eventually tapered off but I still shed more than I did before this stupid hysterectomy and my hair is very fine and looks unhealthy. There are some hair loss discussions over on hystersisters that may be helpful.

Service2013 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I went through menopause very early. I then was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through a double mastectomy with treat of 16 months. This last year, my bladder started to fall and it prolapsed. The only reason I went through the hysterectomy was to correct the prolapse. I was not having any problems. Everything except the cervix was removed. I did not want to have a mesh net or sling so the cervix is the base to keep the bladder up. I had read several articles before the surgery that stated if I had already been through menopause I would not experience much body change....WRONG!!! This week I went to the Vitamin store and am trying a hormone balance to control the hair loss...will see what happens.

Anon_6061 replied to Service2013's response:

I'm sorry for your breast cancer diagnosis and all you've been through!

If mesh or some sort of synthetic sling wasn't used, did the surgeon make a sling out of your own tissue? Why did your uterus have to be removed to suspend your bladder?

So your surgeon removed your ovaries and tubes too? Yes, there's a bit of misleading information out there implying that surgical menopause is like natural menopause. But they are very different. The ovaries of a woman with all her parts produce hormones into her 80's.

Ovary removal is a severe trauma to the endocrine system and increases risks for many health problems. You can find the studies that show these risks by doing a web search for "pubmed bilateral oophorectomy health risks."

Hysterectomy, even with ovary preservation, also has some increased health risks.

I take estrogen which has given me a better quality of life but I'm still not the person I was before this surgery. I'm hoping it also helps mitigate some of these increased health risks.

Hoping for better days ahead for you!

Thank you. I also hope things get better. The most recent test indicated the bladder infection was gone. Hopefully that will stay healthy. Now-find the best remedy to keep all my hair from falling out.

Anon_6061 replied to Service2013's response:
Glad to hear the bladder infection's gone - that's progress!

Thank you...I really appreciate the thread of discussion. Thank you!