Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
menopause?
grandma_1_k posted:
I am 49 almost 50 years old. I stoped menstrating for a year. I've gone through hotflashes, night sweats and then they ceased. Out of nowhere I get a regular period that lasted 5 days. Is this normal?

TERRA29 responded:
Hey grandma yes is normal,but you should still see a GYN

TERRA29 replied to TERRA29's response:
when you are in pre menopause your menstration will go away for a year or less..then after a regular period you will never see it again.

georgiagail responded:
Menopause is typically described as the absence of a menstrual period for at least a year (happening at an age when it would be likely one would normally enter menopause).

If one begins bleeding again after this time period the question then becomes whether this bleeding IS a menstrual period (HIGHLY unlikely)or is due to some other medical issue that has nothing to do with menstruation.

The most common reason for bleeding after menopause is the presence of uterine fibroids; benign growths in the uterus that can cause bleeding as they expand into blood vessels. Unfortunately, other, more serious tumor issues can also cause these same symptoms which is why it is important to get this abnormal vaginal bleeding looked into medically.

Gail

TERRA29 responded:
http://www.webmd.com/menopause/tc/menopause-and-perimenopause-overview. just go to the top of this page and search for everything you need to know about menopause.

denisemwb responded:
I did the same thing, went a year with a period and then had some abnormal bleeding. My doctor did a D&C and discovered that I had stage 2 uterine cancer. A complete hysterectomy and a few radiation treatments and I'm doing great. But please go see your doctor!

valoispq responded:
Go to your gyne doc, it is maybe nothing but " maybe" is not good enough, go get checked out and do yourself a favour.

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.