Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I stop taking my birth control medication?
rquinn1 posted:
So, I have been taking the birth control medication Seasonique for 3 years now (I am 19 years old). Just this past week I started having a strange feeling in my chest. It almost feels like a gas bubble most of the time, although sometimes it also feels like I may not be getting enough air into my lungs when I breathe normally. I am hesitant to stop taking the pill because when I was 16 I would spend one week every month feeling like I was litterally being gutted alive. The fear of feeling like that again has prevented me from stopping the pill. I also have a history of lung problems (hospitalized with double pneumonia as a kid, and a couple viral infections in recent years).But I have never felt like this for so long before. Both of my parents are all for me stopping the medication, but say I should wait until May to do so (I'm in college now so if I were to still have the same feeling every month as before it would severely affect my work). So, should I stop taking the medication and hope I outgrew the original reason for taking it ASAP, should I wait until May, or is this just a possible side effect of having been taking it for three years? Wow, that's kind of a really long question...haha sorry about that.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
You need to discuss this issue with your doctor.

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.