Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Seeking advice. Bv or something else?
An_249982 posted:
First of all let me point out that I do everything possible to try and prevent the reappearance of BV. I exercise every day, I'm very hygenic, I never apply soap directly on my privates, I eat a ton of yogurt, wear cotton underwear, and mostly dresses and loose pants. Although I can't say the same about my boyfriend. Perhaps his hygiene isn't ideal... In any case, I've taken Flagyl, and one other antibiotic that you take four tablets for one day only. The name of the latter escapes me. Either way, no matter how much I treat it, it comes back. Which brings me to my current predicament. I currently can't afford to go to a legitimate doctor, as I am working a minimum wage job and can barely pay my bills. Plus, I have a broken tooth which is going to cost more money than I'll probably make this year. So, I go to the free clinics. They poke around down south, test my ph, tell me its bv, prescribe Flagyl and send me on my way. Right now I have symptoms of BV again, but my boyfriend went a real doctor and was diagnosed with a yeast infection. We both have swollen tonsils with weird white pockets on them---which I've had before and was told it was a strain of strep throat---but his doctor gave him a round of std treatments and said that if it comes back, it's possibly herpes...But I keep telling myself that it's unlikely that I have herpes, since I've been with the same sexual partner for 3 years, and I've been tested since we got together..From what I've gathered through online research, many women experience recurring bv and have difficulty treating it. So, I'm wondering if you can develop herpes from long term BV. Or what kind of problems could appear in the long run if Bv is not treated? Is it possible that I had such a severe case, that it was weakened to the point that the syptoms went away, but the bacteria wasn't successfully killed off during the first round of flagyl? I know I need to see a real doctor, but I would rather avoid spending money I don't have.

georgiagail responded:
No, you would not develop herpes from BV. Bacterial vaginosis is a bacterial based infection, herpes is caused by a virus, Herpes simplex; two different critters.

Gail

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.