Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pregnancy symptoms, negative tests
Anon_183567 posted:
The first day of my last period started on Dec 24. One thing led to another and oops, had unprotected sex with my husband during my fertile period (around Jan 7). Six days after unprotected sex, I started cramping a lot, then my breasts started feeling tender (not painful). I'm supposed to start my period today (Jan 21), no later than tomorrow. I normally start cramping the day before I start and then throughout my period. I never start cramping so far ahead of when I should start. Also I always get a terrible migraine the day before my period to and nothing. I took a home pregnancy test on Saturday (Jan 19) and it came out negative. I took another this morning (Jan 21) around 8am. First the negative line appeared then it looked as if another line was there but faint, then it went away. When I threw the test away it showed only one line. Pregnancy symptoms but two negative tests (one test before the start of my period, 2nd test the day of the expected start date)

If I'm pregnant, this will be my 4th pregnancy. Having been pregnant before I know how my body is pregnant. How long should I wait before I retest? If I'm not pregnant, could I have issues with my ovaries? 10 years ago I had problems with my ovaries and wondering if that could be the issue.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: If the first day of your last period was 12/24, a urine pregnancy test should be accurate today--and VERY accurate a week from today. You were correct in doubting a result where a faint line disappeared. If tests continue to be negative then the most likely explanation would be a missed/late ovulation. It is typical for missed ovulations to not have the usual "PMS" symptoms (ie your typical premenstrual migraines).

As you may have read, causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with parents or partners,finances), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. In your specific case you mentioned pelvic cramping. That MIGHT be the result of an ovarian cyst.

Bottom line, if the cramping persists, or you have continued pregnancy symptoms you should see your GYN or clinic. They can do a sensitive blood pregnancy if needed. That would conclusively rule out a tubal/ectopic pregnancy where levels of HCG rise more slowly than in a normal pregnancy. They can also check for an ovarian cyst.

Yours,
Jane

lavidaloca31 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you. I am late with my period now. If I dont start by Friday Jan 25, I will retest on the 26th or 27th. 10 years ago I did have issues with ovarian cysts that did not present like cramps,they were far more painful than that. I'm not cramping as much (its off and on) and no usual period symptoms. I am getting more pregnancy symptoms, simliar to my previous pregnancies (issues with food smells, nausea, etc).

lavidaloca31 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you. I am now late with my period. If I do not start by Friday Jan 25 I will test on the 26th or 27th. 10 years ago I did have ovarian cysts and they did not present as cramps, they were incredibly painful. I am cramping off and on now. I do not have any symptoms of impending period as I normally do. I am getting more pregnancy symptoms simliar to my previous pregnancies (naussea, food smells making me feel sick, etc).

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.