Skip to content
Is Lack of Sleep Impairing Your Thinking?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Is a lack of sleep making you feel like your brain just isn't working at full throttle? Huge amounts of research have shown that being under-rested, even by a half hour, has about as much of a hit on daytime productivity as being out of shape, and even an hour or so of sleep deprivation can lead to impaired cognitive function, about the same as if you had two glasses of wine with lunch, and then went back to the office. When you do the math, you lose about two hours' worth of productivity for every hour of sleep you are short on. So you might want to re-think the habit of staying up late surfing the internet or watching mindless TV.

Since it is actually hard for a lot of people to find the energy to get off the couch and go to bed, my suggestion to a lot of my patients has been to set an alarm for the time that you would really like to get into bed, and a separate one for the time you need to get up. Most people need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep, depending on individual genetics, and to some degree, life stress. Most people know intuitively what their ideal amount of sleep is. My suggestion: Go for three weeks getting that amount every single night, see how you feel, and then make a decision about how to live your best life.

Anon_173208 responded:
I have not slept in about 7 days now? i have try sleepy time tea, sleeping meds, no tv ,some tv? what is going on

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.