Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    WorriedNow posted:
    I am also 53...well, now I am 54 since it was my birthday yesterday...and I had scheduled my annual GYNO appointment. I mentioned to her this strange passing of gas through the vaginal canal, thinking it must be some menopausal weirdness (I had had air from that area in my younger more "active" years after intercourse, so I did not think it would be any big deal), but when I explained that there was an odor involved and was happening more often, she told me that "it was not normal" and mentioned RVF. I am doing some low tech test right now that she suggested....taking charcoal tablets and wearing a tampon to see if there is any leakage into the vagina. I am also reading everything I can get my hands on and am in a total panic. I am a "late in life" mom to a 13 year old. Since I have read that this condition is most often a result of a vaginal birth, I am doubting whether this could show up 13 years (well....maybe 10 years....since I think I first noticed this about 3 years ago very occassionally) AFTER giving birth. They used forceps and I think I had an episiotomy...but all healed normally, as far as I know. SO, of course now I am thinking that a fistula must be cancer related, since I have no other condition associated with it. I am wondering (hoping) if I had a small weakening from childbirth all these years and the changes of menopause caused it to weaken further? I know that it will still be cause for concern if surgery is the only answer, BUT at this point I would be so relieved to find out that is all it is...

    Thank you for any encouragement you can provide!

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.