Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RVF?
WorriedNow posted:
I am also 53...well, now I am 54 since it was my birthday yesterday...and I had scheduled my annual GYNO appointment. I mentioned to her this strange passing of gas through the vaginal canal, thinking it must be some menopausal weirdness (I had had air from that area in my younger more "active" years after intercourse, so I did not think it would be any big deal), but when I explained that there was an odor involved and was happening more often, she told me that "it was not normal" and mentioned RVF. I am doing some low tech test right now that she suggested....taking charcoal tablets and wearing a tampon to see if there is any leakage into the vagina. I am also reading everything I can get my hands on and am in a total panic. I am a "late in life" mom to a 13 year old. Since I have read that this condition is most often a result of a vaginal birth, I am doubting whether this could show up 13 years (well....maybe 10 years....since I think I first noticed this about 3 years ago very occassionally) AFTER giving birth. They used forceps and I think I had an episiotomy...but all healed normally, as far as I know. SO, of course now I am thinking that a fistula must be cancer related, since I have no other condition associated with it. I am wondering (hoping) if I had a small weakening from childbirth all these years and the changes of menopause caused it to weaken further? I know that it will still be cause for concern if surgery is the only answer, BUT at this point I would be so relieved to find out that is all it is...

Thank you for any encouragement you can provide!

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.