Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Problems after car accident?
MandaBear804 posted:
I got in a car accident back in October and the seat belt left a horrible bruise across my pelvic area (from hip to hip). I monitor my cycle on the WebMD fertility calculator and before the accident I was either spot on with it or a day or two early, but always very close. Since the accident I have been starting 5-7 days earlier than what the calculator says except this month, I am now 3 days late. I am concerned that the accident has caused me to have problems and I was wondering what you think. I don't have insurance so going to a doctor will be a last resort.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear MandaBear: Gosh it sounds like a terrible experience--big time! Fortunately pelvic organs are pretty well protected deep within the pelvis. Our uterus tubes/ovaries are at about the level of the pubic hair line so have the bony pelvis above. If there was a trauma to the ovaries (eg causing bleeding or torsion) the level of pain would be escalating.

My best GUESS Is that the trauma of the accident (plus lack of health insurance) has reached a level of stress to influence the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus has a direct impact on ovulations and menstrual functions. It is via this stress mechanism that women in military training, starvation, loss of a loved one, etc. have an interruption in their normal, predictable ovulations.

If you are using ovulation calculators for either birth control (ie natural family planning), or for trying to conceive you may not get very accurate results until your predictable cycles return. Should your cycles continue to be erratic, or if you develop pelvic pain, you should see a GYN or even your local county family planning clinic.

Yours,
Jane

PS Thank heaven you were wearing a seat belt as you must have had a terrible impact.

MandaBear804 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you. That is very comforting. I really appreciate your help.
Sincerely,
Manda
PS- I always wear my seat belt and I am glad for that because it was a pretty bad accident. The car was totaled. The worst part was the fact that my 2 year old daughter and 8 year old niece were in the car. We all came out of it okay though.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.