Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Late Period and its light
An_247194 posted:
I got my period on 12/15 or 12/16 and it lasted for about 5 days and was normal. My period was late, it came on 1/22 and it is very light, the flow is not regular. I thought I might be pregnant (didn't do a test), because I'm currently not on any birth control or not using condoms. My period use to be regular when I was on the Nuva-ring, it would come towards the end of the month. I came off it in June of last year and had my regular period for July and two weeks later the middle of August I got my period, so ever since then it has been coming the middle of the month. The issue that I have is that my partner is telling me that each time my period is late or change it because I'm having sex with someone else, which I'm not. I have never heard such theory, so can someone please explain this to me. I know stress, and weight gain can cause your period to change; both things are affecting me now. I have stopped going to the gym since early December and haven't been eating the healthiest.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
The only way having sex with someone would cause your period to be late is if you got pregnant. Our hormones determine when we get our period and it's common for our periods to change as we age getting lighter or heavier.

If you think you may be pregnant, take a test.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: I concur with tlkittycat about the need to rule out pregnancy since you have been having unprotected sex. Once pregnancy is ruled out there are several POSSIBLE explanations for a "too-light" flow" in a woman not using hormonal forms of birth control:

1. Lowered estrogen levels--this is more likely to be the case in a woman around the time of menopause.

2. Elevated prolactin levels---prolactin is produced from the pituitary gland. Levels can be elevated from a benign pituitary adenoma or from certain psychiatric medications.

3. Missed ovulations--with a missed ovulation the lining of the uterus does not shed all at once. This can result in a missed flow, a too-light flow (just part of the top layer is shed), or even prolonged/erratic flows.

Based upon what you have shared, my best GUESS is that your reason relates to cause #3. Stress, weight gain or rapid loss can certainly interfere with regular ovulations.

Your partner should be assured that having sex with a different partner is NOT a likely cause for your menstrual changes--but the stress from his accusations might be.

Yours,
Jane

PS In my personal experience, a partner who is constantly suspicious of infidelity, can often move into the realm of partner abuse. I hope this never comes to be the case for you.

J

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.