Skip to content
Interstitial Cystitis -- Surgery? Will pain reduction follow?
An_250094 posted:
I am attaching photos of the inside of the bladder. The "cyst" looking things are apparently the enlarged veins. You can see the enlarged veins in the second photo, which was taken from the top of the bladder looking down. (HELP -- I can't figure out how to upload the photo -- the site doesn't pop up a "browse" window for me to locate the photo inside my computer).

I have been in pain from Intersistial Cystitis for probably 20+ years. My new urologist who took the photos said she recommends I have the main vein that is feeding the others cauterized, which will "take care" of all of the ones that are enlarged and connected. But due to the proximity of the enlarged veins to the opening of where the bladder drains, scar tissue from the surgery could create a problem at that opening, a place the surgeon said is very sensitive. She also said there was no correlation that carterizing the vein would reduce nor eliminate the pain I have been in all this time -- that maybe I would be helped by it, or maybe not at all. I am at a loss to know what is the right thing to do regarding the recommended surgery. I do not want to end up with more problems than I started with. Also, I am aware there are some medications people may try for Interstitial Cystitis, but after reading about their success rates, length of treatment required for a "trial" period, and the side effects, I am not inclined to try any. Please, if you are a physician and can understand what you are seeing in the photos, tell me what good choices exist for me.

Helpful Tips

uti? vaginal discomfort
This is just my experience: In my mid 40's I started to have irritation and what I thought were UTI's--sometimes they were. Why at night ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.