Skip to content
Birth control and antibiotics
An_250140 posted:
Currently I am taking microgestin and my dr prescribed ciprofloxacin to treat a small infection, i took these antibiotics only for 7 days. I was not aware that the antibiotics could interfere with my birth control and i had unprotected sex. I have consulted with the pharmacist as well as with a registered nurse and both think I should probably take the plan b or 72 hr pill, however my obgyn does not think that a 7 day dose of an antibiotic will affect the birth control purpose. Ultimately I do not want to get pregnant, I am confused and need some expertise advise on this matter. -confused girl.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
You should be fine. There are very few antibiotics that actually affect birth control and those that do are usually prescribed for TB.

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.