Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Medroxyprogesterone to delay period
Karecub123 posted:
I'm going on my wedding/honeymoon next month and I am due to start my period on my wedding day. The PA at my doctors office gave me the generic Provera (Medroxyprogesterone)10mg for 10 days and I am to start taking it a couple days before my period starts. My question is, do some women have breakthrough bleeding? Could I start bleeding from the onset of taking the pill? What are the side effects? The PA never heard of this and had to research a bit before prescribing. I just want to make sure that it's safe, somewhat reliable and not going to cause additional issues to worry about. Is it worth the try? Thanks for any advice!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Karecub: Congrats on your wedding (and a honeymoon)!. Generic Provera has been used for many years to both try and induce a flow, as well as try to prevent a flow.As you may know, a normal menstrual flow is triggered, in part, by a drop in natural progesterone produced by the ovary after ovulation. In your case the medication will "artificially" raise the progesterone level, then usually a flow will ensue within 72 hours after taking the final Provera pill. This would be accurately be called a withdrawal bleed.

You are correct, sometimes a woman will begin to spot or bleed before the 10 days of Provera is completed. If you spot only continue the medication as ordered. If you begin to flow like a period, let your PA know as they may advise you skip the rest of the regimen.

In terms of side effects, 10 days of Provera 10 mg should not trigger prominent side effects. When DepoProvera is given as an injection for birth control it's more like getting 20 mg daily for months on end. Over longer times some women do gain weight, or might note mood swings.

Unless you are willing to start on birth control pills right away (ie the Quick Start Regimen) and then try to avoid a flow by taking active pills continuously, the Provera may be your best bet. Often women will have breakthrough bleeding during the initial months of Pill use. So six of one and half dozen of the other.

Best wishes,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.