Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
vaginal webbing?
crazyme1 posted:
was recently to seen my Family Dr due to painful intercourse.after running several tests he said that I have vaginal webbing and is sending me to see GYN. What is vaginal webbing????

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear crazyme: My best GUESS would be either a strong, intact hymen OR a strong band of tissue across the bottom part of the vaginal opening. More remotely, one can have an internal vaginal septum. In this scenario, if you think of the vaginal canal like a tunnel there would be a flexible band of tissue that runs the entire length (like dividing the tunnel longways into two separate lanes). This is called a longitudinal vaginal septum. Many women who have this have normal intercourse, the septum is flexible enough to be pushed aside by a penis. The main concern with a septum is that the female genitals all form at the same time so one needs to be evaluated for the possibility of a septum inside the uterus as well.

Your GYN should be able to give you the most "for sure" answer after they do an exam. You might even be told that there is nothing amiss, just a normal variation.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.