Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Full womens exam..
liaisloved posted:
What usually happens during these? I have never had one before. I am 20 years old. My doctor lady said to schedule one due to past problems when I bled for over a month straight.. That was during the summer though. I'm finally able to get one the 5th of Feb. Any advise?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Since it's your first time, the doctor will take your health history. My doctor has me strip and gives me a paper shirt and skirt to cover myself with. If they are going to do a pelvic exam, a nurse will be called into the room. You will be asked to scoot to the edge of the exam table and your feet will be put into stirrups. The doctor will use a speculum to open your vaginal canal and look at your cervix. They will use a long cotton swab to take a sample of your cervical cells. Mine also checks my uterus/ovaries by inserting his finger in my vagina and pushing on my stomach. He also sometimes will insert his finger in my rectum to check the same thing. While I'm lying down, mine will also do a breast exam, also with the nurse in the room.

Since it'll be your first time, hopefully your doctor will tell you what they are going to do before they do it.

Helpful Tips

Irregular menstrual cycle
My daughter has been passing dark blood for over 10 days now. There are clots involved and the blood shed is between a very heavy flow and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.