Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
ireegular cycles
lovely_lady333 posted:
Hello i have been having irregular cycles since age 11 i started taking birth control at age 16 to regulate them my heavy cylces consisted of large blood clots, bad cramps, heavy bleeding, really large bloating and somrtime being nauseous I tried to forms of birth contol i gain alot of weight it seems my body is sensitive to estrogen now my doctor has put me on jolivette a mini pill but i have been on it for two month and 3 weeks i bleed and my period is only off a couple of days i am really aggitated and i dont know what birth control to try next i have recieved to reccomendations the iud or provera can anyone please help me

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear lovely_lady: It sounds like the progestin only (no estrogen) minipill is producing lots of spotting/breakthrough bleeding (BTB). Given that this type of Pill is so low dose, perfect cycle control can be more difficult to achieve. Actually the estrogen in a birth control method can be helpful in acquiring better cycle control.

Both the synthetic progesterone IUD (Mirena) and DepoProvera can create absent periods by keeping the lining of the uterus super thin. Yet both these excellent methods sometimes have BTB or even continuous light flows. Alas, there is no secure way to predict for which women this will be the case. You almost have to try it out. Maybe you will be one of the women who do not get BTB.

I would urge you to talk with your GYN or clinic. They are in the best place to give you the most accurate advise. One thing to consider is that Provera is more linked to weight gain than is the Mirena--if that is one of your primary concerns. There is also a newer, lower dose form of Provera which might be tried first if you decide to go that route.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.