Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Red26 posted:
Hi would like to know if anyone as experience this since December my period have be running like of water dips like every two days
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Red: Gosh, rather than a "period" it sounds more like you are having continuous spotting or a too-light flow. Certainly if you are using some type of hormonal birth control (eg Pill, patch, NuvaRing, Mirena IUD, DepoProvera) the type of bleeding pattern you have described could be a side effect of the birth control.

Other non-birth control causes of erratic spotting can include a new chlamydia infection (unlikely if you are both monogamous). polyps of the lining of the uterus (way more common in midlife women.

Of course, pregnancy should be ruled out as well.Once pregnancy is ruled out there are several other explanations for a "too-light" flow" in a woman not using hormonal forms of birth control:

1. Lowered estrogen levels--this is more likely to be the case in a woman around the time of menopause.

2. Elevated prolactin levels---prolactin is produced from the pituitary gland. Levels can be elevated from a benign pituitary adenoma or from certain psychiatric medications.

3. Missed ovulations--with a missed ovulation the lining of the uterus does not shed all at once. This can result in a missed flow, a too-light flow (just part of the top layer is shed), or even prolonged/erratic flows. This is by far one of the most common explanations.

Given the number of different causes your best bet is to see a GYN or your local county family planning clinic.


Helpful Tips

I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.