Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tired, depressed and confused
An_250242 posted:
I've been on a strict diet for about a month because I had an yeast infection and bv at the same time. It was my first time for both and the doctors treated me with fluconazole and metrondazole the first time around, then when my culture came back she perscribed another round of fluconazole and added amoxicillian. I'm currently still taking the amoxicillian and have one more fluconazole to take after I'm finish incase the antibiotics make my yeast infection come back. The diet she has me on is strictly meats, certain veggies, water and yogurt. I've lost 20 pounds so far and though I should be happy I'm not. I'm constantly tired and have a hard time focusing. I have to plan my major meals around my antibiotics since they upset my stomach a bit. I was told this was the die-off period and my body was just going thru a detoxic stage if that's what it's called. I use to have normal bowel movements almost every morning before the infections, now I'll be lucky if by the 4th day something comes out. I'm starting to feel better with the symptoms in my vaginal area and asked my doctor when I would be able to reintroduce certain foods back into my diet like fruits or whole grains or even some kind of dairy besides yogurt. She said I should and to stay on the diet she gave me cause if I don't I most definately will get a yeast infection again. Talk about a mind f**k, now I'm paranoid to eat anything even organic salad dressing. My mind and body are spent not to mention my bank account with the doctor visits and food. I'm trying to find a nutritionist to make an appointment I don't want to go back to eating trashy, but is there hope for a normal well-balanced diet? or will I have to suck it up and just deal?

georgiagail responded:
I'm going to say this as a dietitian...

Your physician has you on far too strict a diet. The fact you've lost 20 pounds in a month, are constantly tired, have a hard time focusing, and are constipated are all symptoms that this diet is far too strict.

Quite honestly, in my 30 years as a registered dietitian, I've yet to come across many physicians who have obtained more than a few hours of nutrition education in medical school. Most are seriously lacking in knowledge of even the basics in human nutrition.

Diet really plays little role in yeast or bacterial vaginosis infections and this "detox" stage of a diet is nonsense. Go back to eating a better balanced diet and you will certainly begin to feel better quickly.

Gail

MAngel67 replied to georgiagail's response:
Dear Gail,
Thank you so much for your response. It came at the right time because the day you responded I came down with a cold. Called my doctor and she said to just keep eating the same and finish the amoxicillian and I should feel better. Did it make senes to me? No. I took your advice and started to add some fruits such as blueberries and oranges to help with my cold, even some whole grain bread and nuts like almonds. I've finally had a bowel movement and I am feeling better. Thanks again so much for the advice I don't feel so alone thinking my doctor was too strict.

georgiagail replied to MAngel67's response:
I am so glad you are feeling better!

Gail

MAngel67 replied to brinerlady's response:
Update! K so it's now been over a month and 2 passes of metronidazole, 3 treatments of difican, 1 course of amoxicillin, diet change, detergent change, lotion change, soap change, clothing change, diabities testing, 3 pelvic exams, after seeing 1 doctor 1 RN and 1 LPN and 2 std testing. Finally one test came back as positive for chlamyida! The 1st OBGYN doctor never did an std test and just threw medication after medication after a 10 min meeting and couldnt fit me in until a month later even with the symptoms still there.The RN I went for a second opinion after the OBGYN doc couldn't see me did a std test but had to wait cause where I live it takes about 3 weeks for the results to come in.. Another week went by no improvement went to see a LPN who thought it was bv from the swab she took but she too did a std test. I got a call last week stating that I was positive for chlamyida that's why all the medications weren't working cause I was on the wrong one. For the right meds and feeling a WHOLE lot better, but it opened a whole can of worms with my partner but he's been cooperative thus far and we're still figuring things out. We both went and got all the std tests done. Results in a few weeks. My thing is why didnt the doctor the first time do a std test even when I told her we didn't use a condom till the middle.. I just feel if she had done a test this would have been solved so much earlier and why didnt she take a hint something more could be wrong? Just frustrated and don't worry I'm not letting my partner off the hook either...

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.