Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is it just my irregular period or something more?
katiee1055 posted:
I'm 22 years old and for all of the years I've been getting my period (since I was a teen,) it has been "regularly irregular." I would get it one month, possibly the next month, and sometimes every other month. I went to the gyno before Thanksgiving (3 months ago) and before going to my appointment, I had my period in September, then again in November.The doctor didn't seemed bothered by this irregularity; she barely even batted an eye. I tried to get birth control while at the gyno, but they wouldn't give it to me (twice) because I have high blood pressure, which I'm currently on medications for. I also refused the other forms of contraceptive because the idea of the others freaks me out. About three weeks or a month ago, I had sex for the first time with my boyfriend. I had some bleeding and cramps for the first hour or so after, but that's all; I figured this was regular for the first time. He pulled out and masturbated for a little before he came, do he didn't come inside me. I'm still waiting for my period to come and I'm starting to get nervous, it's been almost three months. I know this is pretty regular for my period, but I'm psyching myself out thinking that I'm pregnant. I've been having discharge (white/clear) for the past week or two, and I don't have any pregnancy symptoms, but I think I am making myself paranoid about it all. I'm scared to take a pregnancy test because I don't want anyone else to find out and I'm somewhat in denial that it's possible. Do you think not getting my period is a part of my regular cycle or something more?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear katiee: At two to three weeks after intercourse a urine pregnancy test should be very accurate. So either test yourself or go to your local county family planning clinic and ask for a test.

If the test is negative (which I would hope and expect given your history of irregular cycles plus no ejaculation) then you are free to decide what to do about birth control in the future. You could always ask your partner to use a condom. If he balks, and you still want to be with him, you have the choice to find a method of birth control which works for you.

Some GYNs will prescribe the newest low dose birth control pills (BCPs) to a woman with well controlled hypertension as long as the BCP does not jack up her blood pressure. If the blood pressure does go up then one might be prescribed the progestin only "mini-pill". There are many synthetic progesterone/progestin only types of contraception available. Your GYN or clinic can give you the best advice based upon your sexual lifestyle and current medical status.

Lastly, you are right about the initial cramping and some mild bleeding after initial intercourse. As this is your first "pregnancy scare" it is also common for the stress and worry to further delay the onset of flow.

Been There,
Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.