Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
pain while on period
worriedandconcerned posted:
I have noticed that when my period starts each month I have been having some pain and swelling in my labia. Is this normal?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear worriedandconcerned: This is one that will have to be seen. Some possible explanations (depending upon the degree and location of the swelling) MIGHT include:

1. Recurrent Bartholin's gland cyst---This would be a tender soft mass at the lower margin of the labia majora. These are usually unilateral. A lit search at the National Library of Medicine site did not yield any citations on recurrences linked to menstruation.

2. Referred pain via pudendal nerve to the labia.

3. Varicose veins of the labia or even pelvic congestion syndrome.

4. Referred pain from uterine contractions--Some women will experience pain from menstrual cramps down the thighs or in the lower back. Yet overt swelling is not usually seen with this.

Please make an appointment to see your GYN at the time the symptoms are present so a thorough exam of the area can be done.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.