Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    the embarrassing herpes question : /
    An_250330 posted:
    HSV IgG ^ 68,59 RU/ml These are my results(from Poland). I am confused because they do not indicate if i have the cold soar virus or genital.
    Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
    Dear An: Your question is excellent. Generally IgM antibodies to herpes simplex virus (HSV) suggest a recent infection. IgG antibodies to HSV appear later, last longer and are thus a marker for a past infection. One of the problems with such nonspecific tests is that they cannot tell for sure if it is type1 HSV (commonly called oral) or type 2 HSV (commonly called genital). There are newer tests (eg HerpeSelect) which can make this diagnosis.

    Here is a direct quote about this issue with a link to the entire citation:

    A positive herpes IgG test, if the test result is accurate, means that your body has been infected with the herpes simplex virus. Type specific herpes IgG tests can often distinguish between HSV-1 and HSV-2, but they can not detect whether a particular infection is oral or genital in the absence of symptoms. HSV-1 usually infects the mouth, causing oral herpes, and HSV-2 usually infects the genitals, but either virus can infect either location. Herpes IgG and IgM tests can only tell you that you have been infected, not where.

    If your MD did do a type specific IgG, they would be able to tell you if they requested IgG testing for type 1 or type 2. Also, your MD should be able to give you an understandable explanation of your lab results

    If it's any consolation about 16% of US citizens will test positive for HSV type 2--with higher numbers in women.


    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.