Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Puss filled bumps on vagina... Help!
An_250344 posted:
Over the past few months I've noticed some random small bumps that when popped are filled with white puss. They do not itch or burn and are not painful even when popped. They haven't gotten worse or multiplied and I only have had a few. I got a Pap smear when I first noticed them and I came back clean and although I didn't mention the bumps on my vagina the doctor could clearly see them and said nothing. But I'm starting to get worried and am thinking perhaps what I thought was just razor bun or ingrown hairs could be an sti. Could it be something more serious? Help!?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: If you shave in that area, a folliculitis or small inflammation from ingrown hairs are possible explanations. If the bumps have a shiny quality (like scar tissue) then you might have hidradenitis suppurativa which involves the apocrine sweat glands found in the groin, underarm, etc. Here is a link to more about this condition:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hidradenitis-suppurativa/DS00818

There is another skin condition that can occur on the vulva. It is called molluscum contagiosum and is caused by a type of pox virus. It will produce small, flesh colored bumps, often with a small dimple at the center. Here is a link for more information:

[a title="Link: undefined">http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001829 /

I would urge you to have the "bumps" seen by your GYN or clinic. Skin conditions really need a visual exam to get the most correct diagnosis.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.