Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hystorectomy
An_250351 posted:
I had a complete hysto. 10 years ago,, there was a small amount of spotting after wiping today. Should I be concerned?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: There are a number of POSSIBLE explanations:

1. If you had a supracervical hysterectomy (cervix left in place), there is still enough glandular tissue (same as uterine lining) lining the cervix to respond to estrogen from HRT, or ovaries left in place (not an issue in your specific case).

2. If you have known endometriosis, there are case reports in the literature of endo growing into the scar at the back of the vagina where the cervix was removed.

3. If your ovaries are gone and you are using no estrogen, the vaginal tissues can become so thin and fragile that they can bleed. In this same scenario, a prolapsed urethra can cause spotting when the delicate tissues are rubbed by under wear.

4. If your surgery was for cancer there is a VERY remote chance that the bleeding is from a return of the cancer

5. Ten years post-surgery is probably too long a time for there to be granulation tissue at the site of the scar in the back of the vagina. This is a more common problem sooner after surgery.

I would recommend that you see your GYN to see if there is an obvious source of the spotting. Having examined patients with concerns similar to yours I would have to say that sometimes we are never able to find out what prompted that isolated bleeding incident, but if the spotting reoccurs it should be checked out.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.