Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
JANE I am Allergic to Boric Acid meds
smjpain posted:
Hi Jane well on saturday I started the Boric Acid suppostories after arguing with my GYN's nurse for almost an hour on friday, I gave in even though I knew I would have an allergic reaction and yes I did one hour after inserting the Boric Acid I had to go to the ER it cause intense buring swelling and I was told I had stop and try to rinse out right away so I did and today I am still very sore and red and swelling I had to put hydro cortisone ointment on. The ER doc said I needed probably the Amphorticin B IV which my GYN really doesn't want to do he wanted me to try this first well now I have to call him on monday and see what he is going to do because now I think it has spread to my mouth because I have white stuff all over my tongue and I am spotting vaginally. I hope he does the right thing what would you do.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear smjpain: My best GUESS would be that I would try other treatments (even the irritative boric acid) before using Amphotericin B. Here's a link to the FDA approved information on this drug:

http://www.drugs.com/pro/amphotericin-b.html

This is a medication usually reserved for systemic fungal infections (eg in the blood stream) in patients with immune compromise (eg HIV/AIDS, organ transplant). In my OPINION I would urge you to go with what your GYN suggests as he has consistently taken your symptoms seriously, and has shown good judgement over the past two years while you have been dealing with the multiple GYN conditions.

MDs are duty bound to do no harm. I suspect that your GYN is trying to protect you from any additional complications unwittingly caused by our medical treatments. ..Do keep us appraised of what happens next.

In Concern,
Jane

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.