Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is this a symptom on menopause?
An_250390 posted:
I am 48 years old. Always had "regular" periods, meaning on time, not too heavy, correct number of days. I have had 3 children, the youngest being 23. Never any problems. The last couple of years, I have been having heavy periods. Having to use ultra tampon and ultra pad which I need to change every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I have to get up at night to change a couple of times. Some months I have one 7 day period, some months I have 2 7 day periods. The time between is not on schedule either. This month I started have black, clumpy period and this went on for 3 weeks before turning into a heavy, heavy period. The heaviest I have ever had. I am having to change pad and tampon every hour. And it has lasted for over 7 days at this point. I am concerned because of the black menstral blood for 3 weeks before my period. Do womens periods get different as they are going through or approaching menopause? Or could this be something more serious?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Bleeding that heavy is not normal and needs to be checked out by a doctor. You may have fibroids.

No, heavy bleeding is not a sign of menopause.

Anon_6061 responded:
The menstrual cycle tends to change during the years leading up to menopause. Cycles and periods can become shorter or longer, bleeding heavier or lighter - anything goes. However, your bleeding sounds excessive and should be investigated by a medical professional. There are a number of pharmaceutical options (hormonal and non-hormonal) that are effective in treating heavy bleeding.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.