Is this a symptom on menopause?
An_250390 posted:
I am 48 years old. Always had "regular" periods, meaning on time, not too heavy, correct number of days. I have had 3 children, the youngest being 23. Never any problems. The last couple of years, I have been having heavy periods. Having to use ultra tampon and ultra pad which I need to change every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I have to get up at night to change a couple of times. Some months I have one 7 day period, some months I have 2 7 day periods. The time between is not on schedule either. This month I started have black, clumpy period and this went on for 3 weeks before turning into a heavy, heavy period. The heaviest I have ever had. I am having to change pad and tampon every hour. And it has lasted for over 7 days at this point. I am concerned because of the black menstral blood for 3 weeks before my period. Do womens periods get different as they are going through or approaching menopause? Or could this be something more serious?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Bleeding that heavy is not normal and needs to be checked out by a doctor. You may have fibroids.

No, heavy bleeding is not a sign of menopause.

Anon_6061 responded:
The menstrual cycle tends to change during the years leading up to menopause. Cycles and periods can become shorter or longer, bleeding heavier or lighter - anything goes. However, your bleeding sounds excessive and should be investigated by a medical professional. There are a number of pharmaceutical options (hormonal and non-hormonal) that are effective in treating heavy bleeding.