Skip to content
Estrogen level
questionsunanswered posted:
To make a long story short i'm 31 yrs old and have hypothyroidism (auto immune) and for the past year or so I have been feeling very symptomatic although my thyroid levels were normal on Synthroid. My PCP finally referred me to internal medicine due to my recurring complaints of body aches, severe fatigue, and foggy thinking. I had to beg for help! So I see this new dr who ran all sorts of test. The nurse called me the next day to tell me the dr is changing my birth control and increasing my synthroid. My thyroid levels were ok, my TSH was on the low side but she increased my dose (I'm guessing because my T3 Was low normal.) She changed my bcp from Azurette to Yaz because my estrogen level was barely detectable at < 5. I have called several times to hear what the plan is and why my level is so low but she will not give me an answer! I left a message with my obgyn to see what she thought but it might be a while before she can get back with me. What's going on with me? I'm missing work and I have a two yr old who needs her energetic mommy back! Thanks for taking the time to read this I hope it makes sense I hate using touch screens

Anon_6061 responded:
Since you said your T3 was low, I wonder if you'd do better on a natural dessicated thyroid med which has T4 and T3 versus Synthroid which is just T4. Our bodies are supposed to convert T4 to T3 but this conversion process doesn't always work well. There are a few Rx options of natural dessicated thyroid. (I guess that was you who posted separately about the estrogen level < 5 to which Jane replied that the test is inaccurate when on BCP's.)

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.