Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ablation
An_250509 posted:
I hope that you can check out just how clean the site where they do the procedure you decide on. Years ago I had an ablation and I ended up with an E. coli infection in my uterus. It was very painful and I stunk like anything. I ended up on oral antibiotics to cure it and I had no more problems. The ablation took care of the pain of the fibroid even though I still have periods. My fibroid still bleeds every month. My periods went from being about 6 days long to 2-3 days and from heavy flow tampons to pantiliners. It hat was quite a few years ago and I am glad I did it. I was about in my mid-40's when I did it. Have you check out to see if they can't do the surgery where they block the blood supply to the fibroid? It then dies and stops bother you. This can be used if you have only a few if I remember right. They came out with this procedure right after I had my ablation. I think I would have done that. My periods were never painful until I got a fibroid.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Thanks for your personal experience with endometrial ablation used as a treatment for heavy periods caused by a fibroid. You are correct, uterine artery embolization (UAE) can be used to cut off the blood supply to fibroids. Some of the considerations used to decide who is a candidate for UAE can include: size of fibroids, and number of fibroids. If another reader is interested in this treatment option here is an excellent link to more information:

http://women.webmd.com/uterine-fibroids/uterine-fibroid-embolization-ufe

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.