Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
periods after removal of iud
halcal126 posted:
I had my iud removed in sep i had the non hormon one which i believe was paragard. but i had it for 6years. my period were normal oct-feb but jan it only lasted a day and a half then this month pretty much only a day. they normally lasted 3-5. after a little bit of blood then it was brownish stuff only when i wiped. I have taken several pregnanct test a couple weeks ago. Is this normal?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear halcal: You are correct, the nonhormonal, copper IUDs (eg Paragard) do not tend to cause absent or very light flows as the hormone containing Mirena IUD can. Rather, many women report an increased volume of flow with the Paragard type.

You mentioned that, once the Paragard was removed in September, you had normal cycles until January and February when suddenly your flows were "too light." Once pregnancy is ruled out there are several POSSIBLE explanations for a "too-light" flow" in a woman not using hormonal forms of birth control:

1. Lowered estrogen levels--this is more likely to be the case in a woman around the time of menopause.

2. Elevated prolactin levels---prolactin is produced from the pituitary gland. Levels can be elevated from a benign pituitary adenoma or from certain psychiatric medications.

3. Missed ovulations--with a missed ovulation the lining of the uterus does not shed all at once. This can result in a missed flow, a too-light flow (just part of the top layer is shed), or even prolonged/erratic flows.

The most common culprit would be reason number 3. Causes for not ovulating are multifold: low thyroid, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with partners, money worries), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. If you have abdominal or pelvic pain you MIGHT have an ovarian cyst.

If your cycle has not naturally reset itself next month you should see your GYN or clinic. If you develop pain or pregnancy symptoms you should be seen promptly.

Yours,
Jane

halcal126 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you so much for responding. I would agree on number 3 i am only 28 so its not meopause, and im not on any meds. But i had blood work done a few weeks ago and it all came back normal. I had it checked for muscle pain but it was normal. Thyroid and all. I have no stomach pain or stress i just got my taxes back so money is good and im a stay at home mom. So maybe my diet im hungry then im not thats all over i guess. but defintely if its like that next month i will be seen. I told the nurse at my doctors office already and she just said watch it. So will see next month thank you so much jane.

Helpful Tips

Irregular menstrual cycle
My daughter has been passing dark blood for over 10 days now. There are clots involved and the blood shed is between a very heavy flow and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.