Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ovarian cyst with septation
jewelsmaid posted:
I am a 33 yr old woman whomhas been diagnosed with a complex ovarian cyst with septation on my right ovary. I wasnt worried until my ca-125 came back high and now my doctor is sending me for a mri. I have pain on my right side, extreme bloating, gas, severe weight gain (25lbs) in a year, shortness of breath, and a bad feeling. Can anyone shed some light?

Tanks

Anon_6061 responded:
The CA-125 test is NOT accurate in diagnosing ovarian cancer. Also, MOST ovarian cysts (even complex ones) are benign. Here's a link about CA-125 - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/email.htm

This site has a lot of information about ovarian cysts (links are on the left side of webpage).

It's common to remove the ovary for an ovarian cyst. But as stated on the above site, most ovarian cysts can be removed with preservation of ovarian tissue (and the ovary's important hormones). Some doctors may not have the skills to do a cystectomy and it's important to make your desires known when consenting to surgery (IF you end up needing to have it removed).

Hope it all goes well!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear jewelsmaid: Anon_6061 has spoken correctly. The CA-125 has very poor specificity in premenopausal women. One can have an elevated level with fibroids, endometriosis, functional ovarian cysts, diverticulitis, and pelvic infections. It is ordered as part of a work up for a complex ovarian cyst, but it is not diagnostic per se. The MRI will add much more specific information--with the most accurate diagnosis being made when a cyst is removed.

In my clinical experience, if ovarian cancer is strongly suspected, the GYN will usually tell the patient. Moreover, if ovarian cancer is advanced enough to create abdominal bloating caused by ascites fluid this can usually be seen on ultrasound.

Gosh, we all hope that your cyst ends up being from endometriosis or some other benign diagnosis. Kindly write us back with your outcome as other women in the future will find your post via internet search.

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Irregular menstrual cycle
My daughter has been passing dark blood for over 10 days now. There are clots involved and the blood shed is between a very heavy flow and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.