Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Discharge Question
An_250605 posted:
Hello, I have a health question. I am a 17 year old girl. My discharge has appeared a little weird lately. When I look at the discharge in the toilet it looks like powder in liquid. Kind of speckley. It is a normal color, it does not smell, and is a normal amount. My urine has bit a bit cloudy lately but not always. There is a tiny bit of itching but it may even just be a normal amount of itching. The only reason I am worried is because i have been fingered by my partner. I am not sexually active, although his penis has touched the outside of my vagina before, but not the head of his penis. He does not have any STDs. I am not sexually active. I was just wondering if I could have any infections or if this sounds like there could even be an infection. I waited to see if my discharge would change after my period and it did not, and my period was normal. Thank you.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: I would agree with your conclusion, a vaginal infection that comes from an STD is extremely unlikely. Vaginal secretions are composed of cells shed from the vaginal walls, cervical secretions/mucus, and bacterial inhabitants of the vagina.

Changes in discharge can be prompted by the phase of your monthly cycle (eg increased clear, stretchy "egg white" cervical mucus around the time of the midcycle ovulation or thick, library paste discharge in the 7-10 days before flow).

Vaginal pH can help determine which bacteria grow to predominate the vaginal eco-system. There are more than 30 types of bacteria which can be found in the vagina. When a certain type overgrows, changes in color, odor, and consistency may appear. Most of us are familiar with the symptoms of an overgrowth of yeast. Symptoms may include vaginal itching, burning, discomfort with intercourse, clumpy "cottage cheese" discharge and even pain when the urine stream touches irritated tissues. Even an overgrowth of the "beneficial" vaginal bacteria, ( hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacilli), can prompt symptoms of burning, stinging, or irritation.

Based upon what you have shared, my best GUESS would be either a temporary overgrowth of normal bacteria or even low grade yeast. However, for the most "for sure" answer you should see a GYN or your local family planning clinic. They can take a swab of the secretions and look at the sample under a microscope. That is the best way to get an accurate diagnosis. Then too, if a treatment were to be needed, it would be the right one.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.