Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
heavy bleeding
mommynerves posted:
hi
I am almost 50 year old & have had very regular periods for my entire life until last month when I had no period? Currently it is day 4 of what has been the heaviest I've ever seen & is not normal for me at all? The first 2 days were normal but the past 2 have been so heavy I am changing tampon every hour & its soaked? No cramping but tenderness in my breasts? please advise... Its Sunday afternoon & I'd much rather wait til tomorrow to make an appt with OBGYN than head to the ER, is this okay & does this sound normal for a woman my age?

Anon_6061 responded:
Period changes are common in the perimenopause time frame leading up to menopause. The heavier bleeding you're experiencing is likely in part explained by the lack of a period last month. But anything goes as far as periods during this perimenopause time frame - less frequent, more frequent, heavier bleeding, lighter bleeding. Here's a link of meds (OTC and Rx) that reduce bleeding along with their % effectiveness - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly. Hoping the erratic periods are short-lived and manageable!

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.