Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menstrually confused
Ilovemycats52 posted:
I am 28 years old. I normally have a 30-31 day cycle. I bleed about three to four days of a moderate amount in a dark red and brown color. I normally have horrible bloating and cramps (to the point of medication) for the week and some months, a week and a half, prior to AF. I engage in relations regularly. I missed a bc pill and took it the next day. My period came two days early. It was only spotting (bright red) for a day and a half and then nothing. I had no bloating or cramps until AFTER I spotted. My real period was due yesterday and AF hasn't appeared yet. What could be going on???

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Some women's body's are very sensitive to skipping a pill. It's possible your body is off due to your missing a pill then taking it the next day.

Pregnancy is also a possibility so if your period doesn't start in the next few days, take a test.

mountainmom48 responded:
If my daughter skips a pill and takes it the next morning, just 10 hours late, she will start her period. Although it is more likely break through bleeding, not necessarily a period. Then it takes awhile to get back on track.

You may be sensitive in the same way. Might be a good idea to use back up birth control until you get back to your regular cycle. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.