Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Not sure whats going on with me
saltina333 posted:
Hi,
My husband and I have been trying to have another child for more than six months. I have always had regular menstruals until January. In January my period stayed on for two days and was very light, with hard cramps (I never cramp), back aches and tender breast. February my period came on and was very light, with light cramping and tender breast. Cramping continue in both months after my period and I have not gained weight. I don't have anything stressing me or no other reason I can figure out why my periods are so short and light.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear saltina: Once pregnancy is ruled out there are several POSSIBLE explanations for a "too-light" flow" in a woman not using hormonal forms of birth control:

1. Lowered estrogen levels--this is more likely to be the case in a woman around the time of menopause.

2. Elevated prolactin levels---prolactin is produced from the pituitary gland. Levels can be elevated from a benign pituitary adenoma or from certain psychiatric medications. Often women will notice nipple discharge along with too light flows--or missed flows.

3. Missed ovulations--with a missed ovulation the lining of the uterus does not shed all at once. This can result in a missed flow, a too-light flow (just part of the top layer is shed), or even prolonged/erratic flows. This is the most common cause. In your specific case, given the unusual cramping, an ovarian cyst MIGHT be the culprit.

Most important would be to rule out an undetected pregnancy (eg a tubal or ectopic pregnancy) with a very sensitive pregnancy test. If you can get test with a GYN or clinic they can also evaluate you for other causes of your too-light flow (eg ovarian cyst).

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.