Dry Skin Help!
An_250711 posted:
Hello, I would like to bring up a problem that has been troubling me for the past few months. First of all, I'm a 21 year old female and have not had children.
Since winter started, the skin around my nipples started to dry up and itch severely. This has never happened before so I passed it as something that would go away with time. However, not only did it not get any better, it became worse. The itch became unbearable at times and extends to the skin of my breasts. I've tried to remedy the dryness with lotion/moisturizer/baby oil but it only seems to make the nipples dryer. The tip of my nipples are the worst area because the slightest touch would induce it to become irritated. It's really uncomfortable. When the new layer of the dry skin comes off, it leaves a dark mark, which is troubling.

My facial skin also seems to have become more irritated and certain spots would become dry. Also, some spots in my body would itch (mostly shoulders) and a day after, a small rash would appear at the location of where I scratched it.

Any remedy, tips, or help would be really great. Thank you.

bpcookie responded:
Hello, Perhaps the dryness is related to hormonal changes. Although your young you could still have fluctuating hormones, especially at *that time of the month*. I had developed dry spots on my face a few years ago and was told that it was hormone related. So I bought some creamy petroleum jelly and it worked great. I initially bought it at CVS and it cost about $6 but then I found it at the dollar store. So if you have a dollar store close to your house, check there first, if not check your local pharmacy.

Also I was wondering if you have been taking any new medication recently? New pills or vaginal ointments/lotions/YI medication, etc? I had a BI and was given Flagyl ointment to insert vaginally. A few days later I developed a rash and then a few days after that the rash got worse. I saw my Dr. and she determined that I was allergic to Flagyl.

I hope things get better for you very soon. If not, go see your Dr. hugs to you.

Lady_Muse replied to bpcookie's response:
Thank you very much for your response.
I will be trying that method at once and see if it will be effective for me as well, I hope.

I haven't been taking any new medications recently or any new lotions. I did change my facial moisturizer. However, it was the same brand and I did not see any changes weeks after I started using it.

bpcookie replied to Lady_Muse's response:
By any chance did you change your body wash? I use liquid body wash that is for sensitive skin with no dyes or perfumes.

Also I thought of one more thing that you could try. Try taking an oat meal bath every day. When you get out of the tub pat yourself dry. It leaves a thin film on your body and may help with the dry spots. You can get it at your local pharmacy, but they want an arm and a leg for it. Once again I found it at the dollar store and I bought 8 boxes. lol. Good luck

EARTH responded:
An, Food for thought, although I am a Man, coincidently I encountered a similar situation on my body including Nipples. In my case, the culprit was the shower soap I used, so I switched soap and the unbearable itch and dry skin eventually went away..In case you are wondering, WEB MD sends me news letters on Mens Health, Cat's Health, Dog's Health, etc. I never know which until I open the E-mail. If the headline topics for the day catch my eye, I'll click them open. Good Luck !

jk5493 responded:
Hello -

one thing you could try is Lanolin. They advise breast-feeding mommas to use it when they are learning to breastfeed because it often causes nipples to become dry, cracked, and painful.

I had an issue a few years back where I was really dry, cracked, and bleeding...but, not a breastfeeder (I'm only 20 and no kids). I was told to apply lanolin a few times a day. It's difficult at first to do so because it is really thick and sticky. BUT, it works like a charm!

Best of luck,

Jade

bonniejbug responded:
I have had this same problem, although I am a much older woman. Since you are so young, you may not have had a mamogram done, yet. If not, you need to do so. There is a cancer of the breast called Paget's Disease of the Nipples(it is rare) that causes your nipples to itch. And, many times there will also be a cancer found in the breast as well. I did have cancer (called tubular cancer) in one of my breasts, but they did a nipple biopsy & found none there. However, I had none of the other signs of that disease, such a scaly & sore nipples....just the itching. To be safe, please go and have a mamogram done!

mountainmom48 replied to jk5493's response:
That's a good idea, Jade. I discovered lanolin when I breastfed my kids. It's awesome! Just in case you are allergic to the lanolin though, you might do a test on your forearm and wait 24 hours to see if you have a reaction. Wouldn't that be just awful to have an itchy hivey rash on top of already itching skin?

mountainmom48 replied to bonniejbug's response:
Oh, good call, bonnie. When in doubt, check it out. So glad you are alright and sharing your experience. I have not had breast cancer but in the past year have twice had a scare with possible DCIS. My tissue is possibly changing in addition to better and better scan equipment.

WillowRN responded:
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. It can't hurt and it might relieve some of the dryness and itchiness that you are experiencing. Have you tried using topical hydrocortisone cream to eliminate the itch? This might help in the short term (no more than 3 days use, 3 times a day) to reduce the itching. Avoid using soap on your breasts, keep showers short and not too hot, and avoid over showering. Try a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Stay away from all of the lotions and cosmetics and leave your breasts open to air at night by wearing a loose cotton t-shirt or nightgown (or nothing at all). Try to avoid itching, as it can cause skin breakdown and will only make things worse. If the itching and rash don't improve, check with your doctor or dermatologist for further treatment. Best of luck!

rkelhofferjr replied to jk5493's response:
It may work but I would caution that some people are allergic to Lanolin as it is a by product of sheep. Many people have an itchy reaction to wool. I am no expert but I have had the same issue and suffer from allergies, even had chronic hives for 3 years! The very best was for it was mother's milk when I was nursing my son. I wish something like that were readily available. Otherwise, O'Keefe's Working Hands from Bed, Bath and Beyond works well. If it gets really bad for a SHORT time you can use Hydrocortisone Cream OTC. Be care that it's for a short time though.

An_250816 responded:
Lanolin, vaseline, or other similar products are probably safest. It can always be allergy related - diet, products used, environmental. Drinking more water would likely help. You probably want something thin/ not too greasy. Things like olive or grape seed oil might even do the trick. Coconut oil. Eucerin's intensive repair hand creme works for most of my needs (but not their other creams).
Nightshades - tomatoes, potatoes, egg plant, bell peppers, tobacco, and paprika are a big culprit for eczema.