Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DUB I have had vaginal bleeding for six months...
GirlieIsBored posted:
I have been to the emergency room twice. I have seen my Gynecologist once had over the phone consults with her nurses and will be seeing her again March 6th which is wednesday.

I was diagnosed with Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding in the Emergency room and told to contact my OB/GYN and told they could do nothing. My OB/GYN put me on birth control over the phone which helped for about 4 days then the bleeding started again and actually got much worse to the point where I had to go to the ER again because I was bleeding so much. The Second time I was in the ER they put me on a synthetic progesterone for ten days in hopes of flushing out my uterus. About seven days later I actually saw my OB/GYN she took me of the progesterone and back on Birth Control telling me to eat three a day for three days and then two and then down to one a day and to just keep taking them. Well it took 4 days finally my period stopped for the next two days and then i started spotting again and now I am back to the point where I am bleeding so bad I have to wear an adult diaper. I am very scared and have been bleeding for 6 going on 7 months now. Do I really have DUB or is it something else?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Unfortunately, no one on an internet board can tell you what is wrong. You need to continue working with your doctor to figure it out.

mountainmom48 responded:
Oh gosh, this sounds just awful. I am not familiar with DUB, but want to send you encouragement and good wishes. I hope you get answers or at least a plan in the works when you see your doctor on Wednesday. Good luck!!

GirlieIsBored replied to mountainmom48's response:
thanks...

Anon_6061 responded:
That does sound awful! With all this bleeding, have you been checked for iron-deficiency anemia or low iron stores? This link lists various medications and their % effectiveness for heavy bleeding - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly. This link and its references may also be helpful - http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/help_yourself/articles/very_heavy_menstrual_flow.

Hope you can get this under control soon! Please let us know how you're doing.

GirlieIsBored replied to Anon_6061's response:
Yes i have been tested for anemia twice. I don't have it. in fact one time I was told I had a higher blood count than my very healthy looking nurse.

jk5493 responded:
GirlielsBored,

Sorry to hear about your bleeding issues! It really sucks, doesn't it?!
I bled for 14 months straight and, thank goodness it finally stopped. I have PCOS, however, and I don't recall you saying that you did... so, that may be where our stories diverge. But, I just wanted to post to let you know that it really does happen! Have they done an intravaginal US to see what the lining of your uterus is doing?

More than anything, it's beyond annoying and gets a little worrisome to be bleeding constantly. One thing I will say is don't stress about it. Easier said than done. The more you worry, the more your body will probably respond to that worry. So... try to ease your mind by reminding yourself that if something was seriously wrong, your OBGYN would have been on top of it. That's not to say, though, that something isn't going on. You said they tried the provera... that didn't help me. I had to do it a few times before that and taking a birth control for a few months helped. It takes a while, sometimes, to get your hormones to level back out - so, stay on top of taking the birth control pills regularly - it will take time.

I don't know if this is an option at all; however, I have heard that sometimes they'll do a D&C for severe DUB. BUT.... please do not take this as a suggestion. Talk to your doctor and see what other options you might have. Have you been checked for PCOS? There is no specific test to 'check' for it. In fact, some women with PCOS do not have the actual appearance of cysts on the ovaries - but, it's possible. It's sort of a process of elimination.

I wish you the best of luck!
AGain, don't worry too much!

GirlieIsBored replied to jk5493's response:
Wow 14 months you must be a very brave woman. My docter has suggested that I might have PCOS before a couple of times. I did get a ultra sound friday to see if there was anything abnormal growing or floating around in there. The tech said she didn't see any cancer or growths.So that helped ease my mind. My doctor told me to just stay on BC and she put me on a stronger brand, made for heavier bleeders...

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.