Skip to content
Heavy bleeding, blood clots
An_250724 posted:
This is going to get very graphic, sorry. I'm 55 yrs. old, have had two cycles in almost two years. The one I had last yr. lasted about 12 days and was heavy. This time, I've been bleeding and having clots the size of golf balls and it's been this way for 16 days. When I urinate, the bowl is bright red and I can't tell if the urine is bloody, or if its from my period, and it's never with clots. My bathroom looks like a crime scene. I'm weak, tired, and scared. Has anyone else experienced this?

jk5493 responded:
My first thought is.. have you gone through/started menopause? I would think so; however, I don't want to assume.

When is the last time you saw your GYN? Now might be a REALLY good time to make an appointment. Bleeding after menopause (especially heavy bleeding) isn't expected or normal, from what I know. The best thing you can do is make an appointment so they can look and see what is going on with yor cervix and/or uterus. Make sure to tell them that you are clotting heavily - they might be able to get you in quicker. If you are feeling faint, excessively tired, etc.. you might just want to go to a walk-in clinic to see if they can check your hemoglobin to see if you are anemic because of the prolonged, heavy bleeding.

Until then, I'll tell you what I've been told for those times when I'm bleeding heavily/clotting heavily: stay hydrated. It will defintely help to some degree.

Best of luck,
Jade

mountainmom48 responded:
What you are describing doesn't sound typical. Have you scheduled an appointment with your doctor? You might need some blood work to check iron levels, a UA to rule out UTI since you can't tell if the blood is uterine or urinary and certainly a diagnosis and plan to address what is going on. Call your doc. Don't wonder in fear. Good luck!

zumi1606 responded:
Hi, your situation happened to me around your age. I knew I was in the throes of menopause,experiencing erratic periods. Consulted with my Ob/Gyn and she scheduled D&C. Removed some polyps, bleeding stopped and on the road to no more periods. Definitely make appt. good luck!

JusticeLady1950 responded:
I had irregular periods when I went through menopause about 13 years ago. After several months of having heavy bleeding for 10-12 days, stop for 5 or 6 then start again for 5-10 days, I called my GYN. She took me in for a D&C, two days later, never had another period.
Please call your GYN.

SusanBG responded:
I'm sorry you are going through this ,but you are not alone ,i have had this problem at the age of 18,i would have my cycle once a year or once in two years,when my period came i would bleed for two months nun stop ,heavy heavy bleeding and i would pass clots the size of a one lbs beef liver ,i would be in soooooo much pain ,weak,tired craving salty,pepper or sweets stuff i cry day and night,i would be chafe from the pads ,i have to work while going through this ,my tummy feel like its pulling out and my back would hurt like crazy ,i am now 42 years old and i still go through this problem i have been to doctors not much because i can not afford it so i deal with it myself sometime ,i don't know if this is why i cant have kids i have tried but no luck and it made me sooo sad ,i have sisters and they are all ok ,well what a woman to do we go through so much but we have to be strong God has a plan for us ,please be strong i will pray for you God bless you.

Msg2joni responded:
I wish I had asked! Yes, this happened to me as well and after 10 days of heavy bleeding that was not getting any lighter, I went into the OB/GYN who examined me and then placed me on birth control to stop the bleeding. No fibroids, nothing physically wrong. The first prescription did not work so after several more days, we tried another birth control which did work. I'm sorry I don't remember what they were as this was over a year ago now.

My doctor said that this was "the storm before the calm" but I was convinced that I would not be able to deal with the heavy bleeding, overflow, golf ball sized clots, etc. month after month if it continued.

Guess what? Te doctor was right! That period was my last. I am now officially in menopause (hooray!) and have not had a period since Nov. 2011.

Good luck - I hope you get through this soon.

Theresaa38 responded:
Ok I am gonna suggest you go and see your gynecologist because I was bleeding for five months with huge clots I finally went to Eric and was told that I was almost out of blood my hemoglobin was 4 and should of been 12 to 14 so I had 4 pints of blood and found out that it was a fibroid tumor causing my problem and now I need a hysterectomy so please go check it out

rubyruby replied to jk5493's response:
Thank you all for your replys and suggestions. I did finally go to see my OB/GYN and had a biopsy. She has put me on Provera to stop the bleeding and after three very long days of waiting for the biopsy results, I found that I have "simple hyplaceia". That is as close to normal as you can be, yet still abnormal and is considered pre-cancerous. She has me on the Provera for two weeks, off one week, and then onto the progesterone hormone until I go back for another biopsy in three months to see if it has corrected the cells. I'm also scheduled for an ultr-sound next week. The bleeding has slowed down a lot, the clots are much smaller, but both are still going on. People have told me I shouldn't go on the progesterone because that in itself can cause cancer and other things. I'll discuss this with my doctor when we talk again after the ultra-sound, though. She has also said that I can just try the Meraina IUD, but I've had one of those before, about four years ago, and the darn thing just fell out after a month, my doctor is still shaking her head over that. So again, thank you to everyone for your responses. I'll let you all know how things go. I say anyone experiencing these symtoms, go see you gyno!

Anon_6061 replied to Theresaa38's response:
Theresa - Did you know that fibroids can be removed via hysteroscope or a procedure called myomectomy? These procedures preserve the uterus which has functions beyond reproduction - hormonal, anatomical, sexual. Hysterectomy is the most overused surgery after c-section. Here's a study about that - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674580.

Are you having any symptoms besides heavy bleeding? I don't know what meds you've tried to control the bleeding but this table of the various meds may be helpful - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly..

My hysterectomy continues to cause one problem after another. I miss my beautiful intact figure and hate the fat midsection and flabby belly. And I've been lucky enough not to have the typical post-hysterectomy weight gain. I'm underweight.

The hormonal fall-out has been just as devastating. And my sex life is dismal because I have almost no sensation and uterine orgasms are obviously a thing of the past..Orgasms seldom happen and are disappointing when they do. No libido either. Even if you keep your ovaries, there are studies that show that there's a fairly good chance they'll fail or you'll go through an earlier menopause increasing risk for many health problems.

Studies also show that hysterectomy (even if you keep your ovaries) increases risk for thyroid and kidney cancer. These studies can be found in PubMed.

Anon_6061 replied to rubyruby's response:
Simple hyperplasia is very curable. Here's a comprehensive link - http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=3184. It can take several courses of meds so don't despair. Hang in there!

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.