Skip to content
PCOS issue
An_250747 posted:
I know that weight issues comes with pcos and i was doing good for a while. I've recently gained 20 pounds and I didn't have a menstrual cycle for about 4 or 5 months. Then as I changed my eating habits to try to lose this weight...I started spotting which I thought I was getting my period. Well its been a month now and i'm still spotting. Sometimes it gets heavy but not for long. Maybe a day. Do I need to go to the doctor cause i'm getting tired of this. Is their anything I can do naturally to get my cycle every month? Help Please!

jk5493 responded:
I have PCOS. It's an annoying thing to deal with. Unfortunately, the continual spotting is probably 'normal' for someone with PCOS; however, it's something that should be stopped. Are you on an oral contraceptive? Those help really well with keeping your cycle regulated. It's important to find one that works best for you - it's really a trial and error sort of thing.

You're right about weight playing into period issues - keeping a healthy weight is crucial, but also keep in mind that being fit is what is most important - the scale is merely a number. However, carrying around extra weight does take a toll on how the body functions.

Talk to your doctor about a OCP if you feel comfortable with it. There are some that you can find fairly cheap. I've been on Microgestin for a while and that has been a God-send. I spent 14 months straight with a period, then a little over 2 years with no period... so on and so forth. It's frustrating when things aren't working regularly - it's nice when it's more predictable! Also, I can't stress enough how important it is to get in at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Bear in mind that it doesn't HAVE to be a hard-core workout in the gym. If all you have time for is a 20 minute walk.... do a 20 minute walk; but, do a walk with purpose so that you get the most out of it. Another thing to think about is Metformin. It's not for everyone and it is for sure between you and your doctor. I'm not personally insulin resistant or diabetic; however, my doctor has had me on Met for a couple of years (I'm not currently taking it for other reasons) and it is said to help ladies with PCOS. I know you said naturally... so obviously, exercise is the best option. Sometimes, though, medicines are needed to help keep us in-tune.

Best of luck,

Jade

em032 replied to jk5493's response:
Thank you for your reply Jade. This is just so different for me because it hasn't happened before. No i'm not on any birth control because I currently dont have any insurance. I've been working out regularly, mostly cardio. But this going on for so long is not ok. I guess i'll have to find a doctor that will work with me because i dont have hundreds of dollars to get all the exams needed. Thank you so much for your helpful tips. I really hate birth control but I guess that's something I might have to look into. I was on the nuva ring a couple years ago and I was good with that but my body has changed a lot in the past couple years. Thanks again

jk5493 replied to em032's response:
I'm in the same boat - no insurance. I've been off of my birth control for a few months now and it has been unfortunate. I definitely tell a difference with being on it or not being on it. I had medicaid briefly, and on that... I was getting 3 months of my birth control pill at a time (for some reason that's how they filled it) and it was $60. So, probably about $20/month. It's called Microgestin. There are other OCPs that are fairly cheap, as compared to others of course.
Also, I am a patient at a Community Health Center in the city I live in - in NC. It allows m to get free (while I remain a student/dependent) primary care. Other patients pay like $5 for a visit and prescriptions are at a significantly reduced cost. If you want to see if where you live has one... contact your local health department, or do some searching online. Another thing to look into is prescription assistance programs.
If you call an OBGYNs office and ask to speak with someone in their financial department... tell them your situation and explain that you really just cannot afford what you need done and they may have some sort of financial assistance program, or they can set up a revised payment plan tailored to your specific income. With those sorts of things, they wont usually advertise it to their patients...but, in my experience with the medical community (as a patient and an intern/employee), you really have to go searching for stuff like that.

Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.