Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Renewing Yourself
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
We all have this conception that our bodies age the same way cars do. They start out new, shiny, and everything works, but over the course of years they start to rust, things inexorably wear out, and you end up with a clunker rusting to pieces in the back yard.

Luckily for us, that is simply not true! Our bodies are made of living tissue, of cells, and the hallmark of cells is that they are always renewing themselves. Most of the cells in your body actually replicate themselves over and over again. Those that don't, such as many of your brain and heart cells, simply keep repairing themselves internally day after day throughout your life.

When you combine all of the replacement and repair work, it turns out you are replacing or renewing about 1% of your body every day. Your blood cells live a few months, your taste bud cells a few hours, but everything is always engaged in this ongoing renewal process.

Even your bones are completely turned over every few years. In fact, you are walking around today on legs that are largely new stuff in the past three months, and in another three months you will be walking around on a whole new set of legs again.

So don't think of yourself as a rusting car. Think of yourself as a living, endlessly renewing organism.

That's the good news. The bad news is that your cells can come in every day either a little bit stronger or a little bit weaker, depending on what you do. If you live a life of inactivity, gluttony, and boredom, your cells will actually come in weaker. We call this decay. As a culture, it's become an assumption that this is a normal consequence of aging, but actually most of it is optional biological decay.

Truth is, we're choosing between "stronger" and "weaker" with every decision we make about what we eat, how much we exercise, and how we relate to other people. If you step up to the plate and treat your body right, with some good solid exercise, decent nutrition, a few less calories, and some meaning and purpose to your life, the cells come in stronger and stronger over the course of time.

That is why we called the book Younger Next Year , because it's possible. And wouldn't we all like to be younger next year?

mountainmom48 responded:
EXCELLENT article! This message isn't new, yet it is worded in such an exciting and hopeful way. Thank you!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.