Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibroid tumor
Theresaa38 posted:
I have been on my period for five months bleeding pretty bad I thought I was going through the change so I ended up in the emergency room on march 5 2013 to find out that my blood level was a 4 and it should be between 12 and 14 so they found out I have a fibroid tumor in my uterus and informed me that I need a hysterectomy as soon as possible so I don't have insurance so how important is it to have surgery asap what are my options will I die if I don't have it

georgiagail responded:
While an internet board cannot tell you if you will die if you do not have this surgery, a hemoglobin of just 4 indicates VERY severe anemia from all of this blood loss.

Please understand that bleeding for five months straight is NOT a sign of "going through the change" and should not be mistaken for such.

Has this bleeding been able to be stopped?

Gail

fcl responded:
Firstly, fibroid tumors are nearly always benign. Secondly, I would see a gyn about possible treatment of the fibroid. Hysterectomy is not the only possibility. What has been done in the meantime to stop the bleeding?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.