Skip to content
Fibroid tumor
Theresaa38 posted:
I have been on my period for five months bleeding pretty bad I thought I was going through the change so I ended up in the emergency room on march 5 2013 to find out that my blood level was a 4 and it should be between 12 and 14 so they found out I have a fibroid tumor in my uterus and informed me that I need a hysterectomy as soon as possible so I don't have insurance so how important is it to have surgery asap what are my options will I die if I don't have it

Anon_6061 responded:
Did you know that fibroids are benign and don't generally need to be removed? If they do, they can be removed via hysteroscope or a procedure called myomectomy? These procedures preserve the uterus which has functions beyond reproduction - hormonal, anatomical, sexual. Hysterectomy is the most overused surgery after c-section. Here's a study about that - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674580 .

Are you having any symptoms besides heavy bleeding? If not or they aren't debilitating, there are many options to get the bleeding under control. Here's a table of the various meds and their % effectiveness in reducing flow - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly ..

My hysterectomy continues to cause one problem after another. I miss my beautiful intact figure and hate the fat midsection and flabby belly. And I've been lucky enough not to have the typical post-hysterectomy weight gain. I'm underweight.

The hormonal fall-out has been just as devastating. And my sex life is dismal because I have almost no sensation and uterine orgasms are obviously a thing of the past..Orgasms seldom happen and are disappointing when they do. No libido either. Even if you keep your ovaries, there are studies that show that there's a fairly good chance they'll fail or you'll go through an earlier menopause increasing risk for many health problems, as shown by medical studies.

Studies also show that hysterectomy (even if you keep your ovaries) increases risk for thyroid and kidney cancer. These studies can be found in PubMed.

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
On the other hand, many (myself included) who have had a hysterectomy have suffered no ill effects from this surgery.

Gail

tlkittycat1968 replied to georgiagail's response:
I agree. My mom had one many years ago and said it was the best thing she did for herself. I may have to have one if my fibroids return and she's encouraged me to just have it done now.

happymeaftermyhyst replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Mines(fibroids) grew back even more aggressively so I decided to just do it like Nike says (lol) and I feel a whole lot better, no side effects so far but it was a good decision for me even though me and my husband so desperately want kids.

dlo2012 responded:
Hi Theresa, I to suffered with heavy bleading for 2 years. I understand how bad it is, when you can't be more than 45 minutes away from being able to change a tampon or pad. Or when your period lasts for weeks on end!

Albation saved me. It was cheaper too than the cost of a hysterectomy. My problem came from multiple large fibroids. The procedure sends scalding hot water swirling into your utereus, which scars the inner walls and helps shrink the fibroids. My period didn't disappear, but its very much normal again. Some friends and aquaintances that I discovered had the same procedure completely lost their periods.

There are 3 kinds of ablation procedures. With fibroids, its best to get the non-ballon water version to get the maximum effect.

Ablation may not be a permanent solution, as the uterus will try to heal itself and the fibroids may continue to grow again. But it's a life-saving bridge to menopause. And it isn't successful for you, then you can still consider hysterectomy.

Other things that will help to control the bleeding: Midol/Advil in prescription doses, IUD, birth control pills, hormone injections. If you suffer from aura migraines, then hormone therapy (including BC pills) are not for you.

Good luck,
D

dlo2012 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Hi Kitty, I've had a couple of friends that have basically felt the same way as you... And some continue to feelt hsi way. However, some to whom I've explained the procedure have told me they wished they'd had that option to try first.

I'm a big believer in not cutting off a part of my body if I don't have to. But for some people, hysterectomy is the best or only course to take.

clipper1956 responded:
I have 5 golfball size fibroids and one has calcified (died, turned into a rock). I went through menopause with all of them and bled so much I was cronically tired and run-down I got pregnant at 43 and birthed a perfect beautiful girl who is 14 now and she killed the calcified one during pregnancy- was painful. I am now 56 and went through menopause at 53. I still have my old uterus full of 4 fibroids and one rock although it does stick out but so what at this age. I think science is a little pushy on hysterectomies and I'm still alive and healthy and happy.

OctoberLady responded:
Hi Theresa, I had heavy bleeding from my fibroids for quite some time, and was getting anemic. Doc urged a hysterectomy, but i did not want one. Got the Uterine Artery Embolization procedure (called "UAE" or sometimes "UFE") done. Basically, it blocks the arteries that "feed" the fibroid, causing it to shrink and/or die (yes, it will cause painful cramping). It is done by a radiologist rather than a gynecologist.

I had this procedure done 5 years ago at the age of 46. [a style="color: rgb(0, 102, 153); cursor: pointer;" id="exchange-post-enabled_A8" class="template-reply-post" onclick="LoginCreatePost(this,'gynecology-exchange','3'); return false;"> I still have fibroids, but they are smaller. Best of all, the heavy bleeding stopped at that point, never to appear again. It is less expensive than a hysterectomy.

fcl responded:
OK, so I'll chip in with my experience. In my mid -o late 30s, I had awful bleeding (3 weeks out of 4, passing clots the size of eggs, bleeding through super plus tampons plus pads sometimes in the space of an hour ...) and my doc started with the least invasive treatment. She gave me a hormonal to shrink the fibroids. It's only supposed to be temporary but mine have never given me any trouble again (I'm now 52 ... and had a surprise pregnancy at age 42 which would never have been possible if my doc had chosen to give me a hysterectomy).

My advice is to seriously consider all of the options (and there are many) and possibly get a second opinion before making your decision.

Good luck!

tlkittycat1968 replied to dlo2012's response:
I agreee with you in that I don't what to have a hysterectomy unless I have to but as you said, for some people, it's the best or only course to take. I may get to that point or I may not. We'll see.

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.