Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Recently had LEEP
karruda posted:
Hi Jane, I have a couple of questions. I have had high risk HPV for a couple of years. Last June I had my annual (at this point yearly) PAP which came back slightly abnormal. They performed the Coplo and there were only mild abnormalities. We scheduled my next PAP in 6 mos, Dec (2012). When I went back my PAP was again abnormal and we did the coplo again, but this time the cells came back severely abnormal, what they were calling "precancerous". We did the LEEP and the cells didn't go any deeper and we are now just going to do another PAP in May (2013). I am just wondering, what is the likelihood that the precancerous cells will come back? I guess I am scared. I have a long history of cancer on both my mother and father's side. My father's father died of a brain tumor in the 70's, his brother died a couple years ago from cancer as well, and his sister (my aunt) was just found to have the same brain tumor as my grandfather and it is cancerous as well. From what my father says it's the same type of cancer, although I don't know what that type is. My mother's mother died from tongue cancer, and there were other family members on that side that also died from cancer. I normally would not have thought much about this, but with my recent scare, I'm kind of freaking out. Should I be getting any specific tests done to ensure that I don't have the same things that they did/do? Thank you!

georgiagail responded:
If it brings you any comfort (and it should), the types of cancers seen in your relatives are not the ones connected with cervical cancer.

Fingers crossed that the LEEP (which is a more invasive procedure than a colposcopy) has removed all of the offending cells and your next PAP smear will be normal.

Gail

Anon_6061 responded:
Hopefully, the LEEP is all that's needed. HPV infections can be "stubborn" but they usually resolve on their own over time. Here are a couple of links that may be helpful:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/detection/Pap-HPV-testing
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/HPV

Fear is normal but can cause us to make decisions that we wouldn't have otherwise made. It's important to do our homework to understand our diagnosis and treatment options in order to make the best decision for short and long-term health.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear karruda: Both Anon_6061 and georgiagail have given you correct information. A LEEP can either take a thin slice of tissue off the face of the cervix or make a deeper excision of tissue. Since your LEEP specimen apparently did not have abnormal cells left on the cervix that is good news. You had a surgical treatment rather than waiting to see if your high risk HPV resolved on its own--this is preferred.

As you can read in the reference by Anon_6061, HPV has now been linked to certain types of cancer in the throat. The usual way HPV gets into the oral cavity would be oral sex. Cancer of the tongue is most commonly caused by cigarette smoking--not HPV. Smoking even increases one's risk of abnormal PAP smears and cervical cancer as nicotine can be found in cervical secretions.

In terms of the extensive family history of cancer, if you can get the exact diagnosis, you can be referred for genetics counseling for specific cancer risk. Here is another link which describes the types of cancer which are most likely to be hereditary:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/genetics/risk-assessment-and-counseling/HealthProfessional/page 1

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

When is it appropriate to remove an IUD?
I have had my IUD inserted after my baby was born three years ago. When would it be suitable to have it removed? I know it is ok to have ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.