Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Supra cervical hysterectomy
Ubcina posted:
Hello all....I'm scheduled for a laparoscopic hysterectomy in about a week. I have a cyst, fibroid and some endometriosis. They will be leaving my cervix and left ovary. I'm a bit nervous as I've never been hospitalized except when I was 13... And am now 42! I have 7 year old twins which we adopted, so again no real hospitalizations on my part. Just wondering about other peoples recovery times. From what I've read online, it seems like most people are feeling somewhat better by two weeks. And most people are discharged the same day. My other issue is my son is on the autism spectrum, high functioning, but gets very angry and physical with me at times , which is for another thread! I almost wish I might be able to spend at least the first night at the hospital to get one night of peace! Any thoughts, suggestions or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks! Gina

Anon_6061 responded:
My surgical recovery was easy but the long-term negative effects have never stopped "giving." The surgery was the beginning of many losses to my quality of life and health. And I had no surgical complications. After much research, it became apparent that the uterus, ovaries, and tubes work intricately together as a system and aren't just for reproduction. Messing with "mother nature" can be like a house of cards.

Did you know that ovarian cysts can usually be removed (cystectomy) leaving the ovary or part of it for hormone production? Think of it like a lumpectomy on the breast. Fibroids can oftentimes be "scooped out." Both of these procedures would require a surgeon with these skills. Money may also play a role from both an insurance [a style="cursor: pointer; color: rgb(0, 102, 153);" class="template-reply-post" id="exchange-post-enabled_r_f4b6ac7"> reimbursement perspective and a surgeon's perspective.

If I'd known just a small percentage of what I now know, I wouldn't have allowed any organs to be removed unless I had confirmed cancer.

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
I had an abdominal hysterectomy (kept the ovaries); in on a Thursdy, home on Saturday; out driving on Monday. I was 47 years old when this was done.

No side effects from this surgery whatsoever and I don't miss that puppy one bit.

Gail

rhondamay responded:
Don't let anyone scare you! I had my hysterectomy in my early thirties and had a quick recovery and no negative side effects, real or imagined. No more pain and no regrets.

Anon_6061 responded:
Check out the many forums on Hystersisters - https://www.hystersisters.com/.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.